Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Parenting

If you read my post yesterday, you know that I have been in a bit of a rut. You can imagine the parenting that gets done in seasons like this, but I've been actively trying to stay on top of attitudes (mine included) and build relationships.

I have a hard time with this, and some days are even harder. *grin*

Every single day, I have to get up and get going to create an atmosphere that the boys are used to. I think all of the time. Think about ways to love them more, ways to spend more time with them, then ways to teach them that this life isn't all about them.

I was reading one of my favorite blogs this morning and she spoke exactly what I need to tell myself over and over, every day, fifty times a day.

"But, taking time to make pleasant children for their own benefit and the benefit of others means encouraging at a young age that the world doesn't revolve around them.
Which means I must stay calm, cool, and collected in my heart and attitude so that she knows in her spirit I don't think life is just about me either."

I've become intentional about my reactions or lack there of. Not always good at not reacting, but I do realize that if there is a problem, my attitude in that moment is the most important thing. After all, I wouldn't want to teach my boys that the world doesn't revolve around them, but it does in fact revolve around their mother.

I've also had to step back and look at the whole picture. At the world through their little eyes. Most all of the behaviors we are currently dealing with stem from something I could have done better. Did they get enough to eat, enough sleep, have I been consistent with routines so that when I ask them to do something it isn't like the end of the world? Have I paid attention to the way they treat each other, so I can gently correct them before they get too upset at one another?

This parenting thing is such a huge responsibility. One that most of us chose to take on. It takes consistency, time, and prayer.

Our children need us. They need to know we are not only here for them, but we are here with them. That we are are willing to put the effort it takes every single day. Whether it be a check in with them on their attitude according to scripture, or even letting them know how I'm here with them when life gets frustrating.

I need to set them up for success by checking my attitude, taking care of all their needs including spending time with them, and keep them plenty busy with necessary tasks so they don't have too much free time alone that they get selfish when asked to do something, but enough time to play and be a child.

I have to remember that being the authority does not make me the boss, it makes me a servant. It's important to understand that myself, so my children understand that as well.

A servant is one who attends to the needs of others. It's a selfless job being a mother. It's hard, it's rewarding, and it's a blessing. It's a gift to be in the company of  The Greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven.

Mathew 18
2 He called a little child to him, and placed the child among them. 3 And he said: “Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. 4 Therefore, whoever takes the lowly position of this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. 5 And whoever welcomes one such child in my name welcomes me.

This is how I chose to live my every day. These children are how God has blessed us so. He trusts us with them.



4 comments:

Tricia said...

Lovely thoughts and insight. Thank you for sharing! I need to re-read this and take notes! You are such an inspiration. Thank you!

Traci Warren said...

Thanks for that!! Love the part about having authority not being the boss but servant -- good reminder since my kids are always determining who the boss is! lol Are you on fb as well? Would love to get to know you better!

Jen said...

Yes! Thank you so much for sharing these thoughts. It does take consistency, time, and prayer. Our children really deserve the best that we can offer them. They are REAL LIFE PEOPLE who are depending on us to set the standards, give them cues, and also create a peaceful atmosphere in which to grow & learn. What a great responsibility...and pretty fun too! :)

ferrycrosser said...

Wow! Your life sounds a lot like mine. Each day, I struggle to be the mom I need to be to help my kids (1 girl and 2 boys) become the people God needs them to be. It is hard, but it is the most important job in the world. Thank you for sharing your insights. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails