Thursday, July 8, 2010

After the Business

June was packed full of fun-filled summer activities. Hiking, vacation, movies, cookouts with friends, family in town, swimming, bike riding, and slip n slide. I really loved every single minute of it, but I found myself that last week of June anticipating rest. A month with nothing planned, a month to renew, and time to linger a bit.
REST. I think about rest and pray about it. I long for it, even at the end of a month full of wonder. The first weekend in July is just as fun and busy as June, as I knew it would be. Then it ended. This week I find I have been given time, but my body  and my mind are still in busy mode. Cleaning, planning, working. The littles ask me in a gut wrenching way, "mommy, why haven't you played with us lately?" That question made my heart ache. It was nobody elses' fault but mine. I didn't take time to truly rest, to enjoy, and to play in the time He has given me. I didn't take the time to let Him renew my mind, heart, and soul. Why do I do this to myself? Why do I push myself  so far that I end up tired and irritable? And why on earth do I find more "important" things to do, than to relax and enjoy my Father and those children He has trusted me with? In this moment, I have a choice. I can stay down under the pile of business, irritability, and questioning, or I can turn to The One who knows how to give true rest and renewal. I can let Him work on my heart, mind, and soul. Yes. It's time. Time to let go and let Him. Let Him cover me with His grace. Let Him fill me with His peace, His strength, His love for others. Let Him show me what is important, and how to use my time. Let Him give me true rest.

On the seventh day God had finished his work of creation, so he rested from all his work. And God blessed the seventh day and declared it holy, because it was the day when he rested from all his work of creation." Genesis 2:1-3
God rested on the seventh day, but not because He was tired.

I love this passage in the book Sabbath by Dan B. Allender. God created menuha on the seventh day. Menuha is a Hebrew word for rest, but is better translated as joyous repose, tranquility, or delight. It's a state in which there is no strife, no fighting, and no distrust. God didn't rest in the sense of taking a nap or chilling out; instead, God celebrated and delighted in his creation. He goes on to write that it is nearly impossible to believe that God wants us to have a day of wonder, delight, and joy. Or, to consider the Sabbath as a play day with God and others.

Not a day off, but a day of celebration and delight.  Rest is not really taking the day off, being lazy, or breaking routine. It's simply finding joy in those around you. Using your time to glorify and celebrate our maker.

holy experience

3 comments:

Adoption Mama said...

Hmmmmmm....I have been hearing so much lately on rest. I am in need of rest and yet, I purposely stay busy to not have to deal with certain things...death of my mom and temporary loss of my biggest boy...God wants me to rest, and I know that...I must trust.

Thanks for your encouragement.

Your boys are beautiful:)

Pam said...

Hi Jeana,
Just popping over through cyberspace for a visit at your place.

I am struck by your repetition of Let him...let him...let him...he stands ready to do so much in our hearts and lives but we just keep moving and don't open ourselves up to let him. I am going to tell this to myself over and over. Just let him...

I am reading Sabbath by Dan Allender as well! I love the book and am looking a the Sabbath in a different way because of it.

I can't head back to my place without saying what adorable kids you have. They are so cute!

Well, I better head on back.
Great to visit with you!
Pam

Jaime @ Like a Bubbling Brook said...

"God didn't rest in the sense of taking a nap or chilling out; instead, God celebrated and delighted in his creation."

Love that!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails