Saturday, July 10, 2010

Southwest Pasta Salad

We eat pretty darn healthy around here....most of the time. Sometimes we have those crazy busy weeks full of grabbing something here and there. No time taken to sit down and plan a menu, and definitely no time to actually make something. This week, well I put a stop to that =]

I decided that we needed a complete over haul. I planned our menu this week and it mostly consisted of salads.Lots of wonderful summer salads, perfect! And you may be wondering about the boys? All except the littlest one are gobbling them up. (He won't starve, and to prove my point, he ate the tilapia-strawberry spinach salad I made yesterday.) The other two are eating them really well, especially J who used to take salad to school every day for lunch. Yep, no problems with him eating healthy. Then there is Tibby. He's will try most things, and if there is enough flavor, he'll eat it.

On to the first salad we tried this week.  I happened on a site called Eat Better America. It has some pretty good looking stuff there, so that's where I got some of the recipes from this week.

Southwest Pasta Salad:
There was a bell pepper too, I forgot to add it in the picture though.
Fusilli pasta
1/4 C Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Jar of Salsa (we used our favorite kind and not the whole jar since its a little spicy)
Lime
Salt
Sweet Corn (I used a little more than 1/2 the package to feed 5)
Can of Black Beans drained and rinsed

1] cook the pasta as directed on the package
2] mix the salsa, olive oil, lime juice, and some salt  in a bowl
3] add the rest of the ingredients and add the pasta when done
4] let chill in the fridge a few hours
*I added leftover grilled chicken to ours


Enjoy!


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails